Monday, January 11, 2010

The kids' perspective on the first day of Homeschooling

Maddy (11):
The most efficient things about homeschooling are that there's no classroom full of 10-12 year olds complaining like 5 year olds, there's more room to learn, and you can learn  freely, not just in one small, quick subject. Different things will be hard to get accustomed to, like there is not one subject you can focus on. You have to think and research, not have the teacher tell you exactly where to look. But the thing that is beyond compare, is that there's no text books. Text books are heavy and hard to take from point A to point B, being big and bulky. But the undesirable part is that no other kids (other than my brother) here to learn beside me.  My brother is wonderful to be with though, plus I can see my friends when they get out of school. In fact today I saw 4 friends for a half hour visit. All in all a pretty good day!

Chris (9):
In my experience (I should have said "one day of limited experience") I believe this is an  interesting and exceptional way to do school. Sure, there's no kids (except Maddy but she's not bad for a girl) but it's still agreeable. It feels nice to finally get some quality school time, without paper-airplanes and yelling fourth grade boys. It's more peaceful and less stressing. Just to tell you, I kind of like it  already. But the best part is no homework! Yes! Well, we also learned  a lot like how to divide fractions and I passed a test on California history. Plus this homeschooling is how we get to go on a trip all over Europe. Au Revoir!


Mom:
Wait until I tell them we probably will have many textbooks after we meet with their teacher tomorrow.  Never mind all the books I have on request at the library.  But wow, did they impress me today.  They gave full effort all day long and got much further than I had planned.  This makes me feel more confidant about being ahead of the game when it is time to travel.  Tomorrow's meeting will bring a lot of fine-tuning and revisions, I imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment