Thursday, December 24, 2009

Choices and tamales

 I promised yesterday to get into our reasons for making sacrifices to gain something the family values, in our case the big European adventure.  But with today being Christmas Eve, I also need to address the subject of tamales.  Yes tamales, and these topics are related so I feel comfortable putting off until next time the exploration of our motives.  As I started to explain, not all of the funds saved for the big trip are still available due to the changes that occurred in the interim with the economy, my life and my job.  In fact, the adventure budget has been cut in half and really should be reduced further so we have a safety net when we return.  Even more changes and choices to conserve have been called for, and one in particular has been a pleasure.  This Christmas season, we have made tamales.  And I mean a LOT of tamales.  They have been wrapped in foil by the dozen with a simple bow and given as gifts but also brought as our contribution to parties with great success.

It started a couple of months ago when friends and family started talking about traditions, plans, parties and family gatherings.  As scheduling started to happen, I felt a little squeeze in the area around my wallet.  But I couldn't opt out of the holidays, could I?  There are the kids to think of, right?  And my own childhood has given me fond memories of family traditions that never bowed down or broke off in lean times.  Then the idea bubbled up.  One of my favorite things had always been Christmas Eve at my grandmother's house with dozens of people (mostly family) filling the tiny place with love and eating tamales. There were a couple of years when I got to go with my mom, cousins and aunts the day before and help make the hundreds of fantastic little bundles of savory joy.  But I could not remember to save my life how the whole procedure should unfold.  After much research, phone calling, double-checking, forum posting and experimenting, we got it!  I know I am a bit late in the season for thinking about getting this posted, but now that I have made all my batches and before I forget, I am sharing the instructions:

Work with a good team of friends and family to make the whole thing faster and more fun. Variations are simple to do, and it is possible to get a healthier end result.  But this basic formula is a good starting point.

Gather:
  • Corn husks: I think the nicely separated and sorted ones are worth spending a little more for.  I pay $3-something for a 5 dozen (ish) bag from the Mexican grocery store.
  • Masa:  This is the main ingredient and I only use Maseca in the tan bag because it has the taste and texture we prefer.  Many stores carry it and it should be just under $3.
  • Solid shortening:  Gross, I know but necessary in this case.  I compromised on a blend of lard (eek!) from the butcher (free because he likes me) and Crisco vegetable shortening.  I did do several batches with ricotta cheese in place of the lard for vegetarian tamales and it does work but the cost is a lot higher.
  • A good tall steaming pot:  I got mine for $10 on clearance at Smart and Final but have since seen them in thrift stores and garage sales looking brand new.  But oddly at higher prices!  Borrow one if you can, no one seems to use the one they have.  If all else fails, get something like this gadget to the left and put it in your tallest pot. 
  • Fillings:  I found that a mix of meat and veggies gives the best blend of flavor, moisture and satisfaction.  Contrary to traditions that call for all-meat tamales, almost all of mine are equal parts meat and veggie with some peppers, both hot and sweet.  So a successful combination would have, for example: 2 cups of shredded beef from a cheap pot roast, several local hot chilies, a chopped onion and bell pepper (all seasoned with bouillon powder and cooked with the roast) and  a 15 oz can of stewed tomatoes.  It works well to use a chicken in place of the roast and many different veggies depending on what you like.
Directions:
  1. I put everything for the filling (except the can of stewed tomatoes) into the Crockpot with some good stock the night before with the timer set so it is cooked and cooled when I get up.
  2. Check through the husks for stringy silks, dirt or other problems. Soak them by weighing down in warm water for the hour it will take you to do the next steps. 
  3. Sort the good meat, peppers, veggies and the can of tomatoes into a bowl, discarding the fat and other inedibles.  It should all be falling apart but use your fingers to make sure everything is in small bits.
  4. This leaves the wonderful bullion enhanced juice at the bottom of the pot; it needs to warm back up just a touch for use in the masa.  If there is less than 4 cups of liquid you can add water and this is also a good time to be sure it has enough flavor to carry the bland masa.  I add salt, chili powder, liquid smoke, garlic or whatever it "asks for".
  5. To make the dough I first beat together 1 cup each of lard (or ricotta cheese) and vegetable solid shortening in a VERY big bowl with a hand mixer.  Gradually beat in 6 cups of dry masa mix and a tablespoon each of salt and baking powder.  You will have a crumb mixture.  Now slowly add in your slightly warm juices.  It may be easier to mix with your hands if you are comfortable doing so.  If it feels too sticky to work with add more dry masa and at any point if the dough gets too dry squish in more broth.
  6. Wring out and pat dry some husks.  On the smooth side, spread a glob of dough to about the size and shape of your palm. Use your hands to flatten and stretch it, leaving a clean strip on either side and a few bare inches at the bottom.  Run a line of about a tablespoon of filling down the center of the dough, stopping before the bottom.  Get a row of these ready.
  7. Pull the sides together and roll like a cigar to close the dough around the filling.  Pinch the bottom to seal it.  Fold the bottom flap of husk up, then one side, the roll over to rest seam-side down.  I keep my steamer pot next to me on it's side so I can stack them in there on top of the steamer deck. It holds 60 and works best with a full batch so they stand up straight.
  8. Stand up your full pot and add plenty of water to the bottom , trying not to splash your tamales in the process.  Put a tea towel over the top, then the lid.  Simmer for 40 minutes then cool for 20 before you lift them out to package and give.



No comments:

Post a Comment