Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why a long European trip?

I touched on my enduring travel dreams and the kids' curiosity a few days ago. The motivations are deeper than that, though. I suspect that we can find ideas and methods that will change our lives if we travel slowly, intentionally and consciously. I want my kids to see and experience things that shape the adults they will become.

It seems, but we can only really know after spending some time there, that many Europeans live in a way that combines simplicity with fullness. Their cars, homes, appliances and shopping carts are smaller. Their meals appear from this distance to be better, more thoroughly enjoyed and more natural. I read that they spend more than the American-average amount of time each day on the selection and preparation of whole, high quality foods. I want to explore that for myself, wandering through fresh markets and discovering new ingredients.

I also read that the average European spends much less time watching television than most Americans do. Internet statistics tell me that the EU, with a nearly identical population to the US, consumes half the number of semi-durable items like clothing and housewares. Is it that the quality is higher? Are they constrained by less disposable income and higher taxes? Are environmental concerns more in the forefront of everyday life there? How are they approaching work and ambition differently than we? Do they get and fully embrace more time for family and leisure?

As these are all important choices that I am trying to incorporate into our family life, the trip would be worth undertaking even aside from the excitement and fun that is involved. Adding in the opportunity to learn with my children as we homeschool on the move through various languages, cultures, histories and countries makes the whole adventure unmissable.

Please add your thoughts in the comment section!

No comments:

Post a Comment